WOMEN ON THE PODIUM
Perth Symphony is inviting 8-12 young women with strong musical skills who would like the opportunity to learn what it takes to be a conductor.
The program will include several workshops, conducting masterclasses and discussions with experts in the industry, with mentoring from lead faculty members Alice Farnham (UK, Founder of the renowned ‘Women Conductors’ program) and Jessica Gethin (AU, Chief Conductor of Perth Symphony Orchestra and inaugural fellow of the Dallas Institute for Women Conductors) to develop their skills in orchestral conducting, musicianship and leadership, build confidence and knowledge to start and run their own ensembles.
Applicants are invited to take part in a three day program from March 29 – 31, hosted by St. Mary’s Anglican Girls’ School in Karrinyup.
“I’m thrilled to be ambassador for this exciting initiative. Being an inaugural fellow for The Dallas Opera’s Institute of Women Conductors gave me the visibility and support on an international level to get to the next step; I hope that in providing a platform for emerging female conductors right here in WA, we can encourage even more diversity and fostering of talent on home grounds.”
– Jessica Gethin, Chief Conductor, Perth Symphony Orchestra
We are delighted to be flying Alice Farnham over from the UK for this inaugural weekend. Alice is the founder of the renowned ‘Women Conductors’ program in the UK. You can read more about her remarkable work here.
Applications due: Friday 8th March, 2019 via the form below.
Prerequisites and more information below. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any further queries.
More info & criteria:
- The program is free of charge to successful applicants, thanks to generous funding from the Minderoo Foundation
- Applicants must be Australian residents living in Perth and available to attend 3 full day sessions from March 29 – 31
- Applications are open to young women aged 18-26, however applicants outside this age range will be considered on a case by case basis
- Applicants must have outstanding musical skills / knowledge or be a full time tertiary music student
- Instrumentalists, pianists, singers and composition students are all welcome to apply