Performing as a member of the orchestra is by invitation only. We are comprised of both highly experienced players, many having held Principal seats in Australia’s leading orchestras, and a new generation of young rising stars. We actively seek to give emerging musicians opportunities to perform alongside seasoned professionals.
Solo artists have risen through many channels – we have ‘discovered’ a soloist performing at a concert or event; an outstanding artist has been recommended through an industry colleague, or we have received a request to perform with us directly from a noteworthy musician.
Perth Symphony Strings and Perth Symphony Touring Ensemble are formed from members who play with the main orchestra. Orchestral members also perform in smaller groups such as string quartets, brass, and wind quintets. Only musicians who have worked with the full Perth Symphony Orchestra are invited to perform in our smaller ensembles.
We welcome approaches from musicians who would like to join the orchestra and from soloists who would like to perform with Perth Symphony.
To apply for a position in the orchestra, we kindly request the following documents to assess your suitability:
- Cover Letter: Please provide a comprehensive cover letter that highlights your significant orchestral experience and your passion for music. Share your musical journey, including notable performances, training, and any achievements that demonstrate your dedication to orchestral music.
- Up-to-Date CV: We require an up-to-date Curriculum Vitae (CV) that offers an in-depth overview of your musical career, education, relevant skills, and qualifications. This document should provide a thorough representation of your professional background and accomplishments.
- Reference from a Principal or Regular Player: Your application should include a reference from one of our Principal or Regular players who can attest to your musical proficiency, work ethic, and potential contributions to Perth Symphony.
- Attendance at a Concert: We value musicians who have a genuine connection to our performances. Please inform us if you have attended one of our concerts. This firsthand experience helps us gauge your understanding of the energy, dedication, and commitment that we expect from every member of the Perth Symphony.
By submitting these documents, you provide us with a holistic view of your qualifications, your dedication to orchestral music, and your appreciation for the unique musical journey that is Perth Symphony. We look forward to reviewing your application.
To apply for a position as a solo performer with the orchestra, we require the following documents and information to evaluate your suitability:
- Cover Letter: Please provide a comprehensive cover letter that emphasises your solo performance experience. In this letter, showcase your significant solo achievements, memorable performances, and your passion for the art of solo music. Express why you are interested in joining the orchestra as a soloist.
- Up-to-Date CV: Submit an up-to-date Curriculum Vitae (CV) that offers a thorough overview of your solo career, including solo concert performances, relevant training, and any notable accomplishments. This document should provide a comprehensive picture of your professional background and achievements in solo music.
- Audio or Video Recording (or Links): Include an audio or video recording of your solo performance. If available, provide links to relevant websites, such as YouTube, where we can access your performances. If you do not have recorded material readily available, please be prepared for a potential request to perform for us during the application process.
- Choice of Work: Specify the name(s) of the musical work(s) you would like to perform as a soloist with the Perth Symphony Orchestra. This allows us to better understand your artistic preferences and repertoire choices.
- Reference: Include a reference who can vouch for your solo musical proficiency, dedication, and potential contributions to our orchestra as a solo performer.
By providing these documents and information, you enable us to assess your qualifications, passion for solo music, and your readiness to be a part of Perth Symphony as a soloist. We eagerly anticipate reviewing your application and the opportunity to welcome you into our orchestra.